By David Etkin
Disaster conception: An Interdisciplinary method of ideas and reasons offers the theoretical heritage had to comprehend what failures are and why they take place. Drawing on comparable disciplines, together with sociology, threat idea, and seminal learn on mess ups and emergency administration, Disaster Theory sincerely lays out the conceptual framework of the rising box of catastrophe experiences. adapted to the wishes of complicated undergraduates and graduate scholars, this designated textual content additionally presents a terrific capstone for college kids who've already been brought to the basics of emergency administration. Disaster Theory emphasizes the applying of severe pondering in knowing mess ups and their explanations through synthesizing a variety of details on conception and perform, together with enter from prime students within the field.
- Offers the 1st cohesive depiction of catastrophe theory
- Incorporates fabric from major thinkers within the box, in addition to pupil routines and significant pondering questions, making this a wealthy source for complicated courses
- Written from a global point of view and comprises case experiences of mess ups and risks from worldwide for evaluating the top versions of emergency response
- Challenges the reader to imagine severely approximately vital questions in catastrophe administration from numerous issues of view
Read or Download Disaster Theory: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Concepts and Causes PDF
Similar regional planning books
The unfold of newly 'invented' locations, corresponding to topic parks, purchasing department shops and remodeled ancient components, necessitates a redefinition of the idea that of 'place' from an architectural standpoint. during this interdisciplinary paintings, those invented areas are categorised in line with different phenomenological stories they can offer.
In accordance with the paintings of Poly5, or the Mediterranean hall, mega-transport infrastructure undertaking, this ground-breaking reference explains how and why conventional top-down government-defined shipping making plans guidelines are failing, as a result of their tendency to eschew acknowledgement of profoundly multifarious neighborhood and nearby matters.
Revitalizing railways as a big sustainable shipping mode in sleek societies faces many concerns and demanding situations. This in-depth review areas the significance of railways within the wider context of entire sustainability, which encompasses sustainable improvement, social and fiscal fairness and neighborhood livability.
Regardless of ongoing technical advances, city and local making plans is frequently a long way much less powerful than we'd wish. Conflicting techniques and variable governmental settings have undermined planning’s legitimacy and allowed its ambitions to be eroded and co-opted within the face of mounting demanding situations.
- Urban Governance in Southern Europe (Urban and Regional Planning and Development)
- The Polycentric Metropolis: Learning from Mega-City Regions in Europe
- Sustainability Appraisal: A Sourcebook and Reference Guide to International Experience
- Methods of Interregional and Regional Analysis (Regional Science Studies Series)
Extra resources for Disaster Theory: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Concepts and Causes